[LAU] Which jackd to install on a new system ?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Apr 16 15:09:57 UTC 2017

On Sun, 16 Apr 2017 10:32:12 +0200, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
>Jack2 has this bridging too with the alsarawmidi driver. a2jmidid works
>better though because it can export any MIDI endpoint, afaik the
>alsarawmidi only exposes the hardware endpoints.

In the past I used "-Xalsarawmidi" a lot to reduce MIDI jitter, when
sending MIDI events to external MIDI equipment. IIRC it required to run
"a2jmidid -e" in addition to be able to connect everything with anything
else.

I suspect at the moment this is stored by Ardour5:

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ cat .jackdrc
/usr/bin/jackd -t 200 -p 2048 -R -T -X alsarawmidi -d alsa -n 2 -r 44100 -p 128 -d hw:HDSPMx579bcc,0 -X alsarawmidi

I wonder what the "-Xalsarawmidi" behind "-d alsa" is good for, I
always used it just one time before "-d alsa".  However, I don't know if
Ardour5 does launch a2jmidi, I'll check this next time I run Ardour5. I
didn't launch a2jmidi manually, but didn't notice an issue connecting
anything.

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ man jackd | grep alsaraw
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ jackd --help | grep alsaraw -B10
no message buffer overruns
no message buffer overruns
no message buffer overruns
         -d master-backend-name [ ... master-backend args ... ]
       jackdmp -d master-backend-name --help
             to display options for each master backend

Available backends:
      loopback (slave)
      firewire (master)
      netone (master)
      net (master)
      dummy (master)
      alsarawmidi (slave)
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ pacman -Q jack2
jack2 1.9.10.r261.g2d1d3235-1

Happy holidays!
Ralf