[LAU] Debian 9 - Xrun

David Jones gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Aug 29 23:16:19 UTC 2017

On Aug 29, 2017 03:39, "Peter P." <peterparker at fastmail.com> wrote:

> * list <list at contacte.xyz> [2017-08-29 15:25]:
> > apt-daily.timer loaded active waiting   Daily apt download activities
> Which you can disable safely.
> >
> > and
> >
> > remote-fs.target loaded active active    Remote File Systems
> Can be disabled as well I think.
>
> > Not sure they are vital. But i see nothing about them on the journalctl
> > that matches the time of the XRUN - the apt-daily time occurs like 1
> > time every 8 hours or so.
> Did you look at jackd priorities?
>
> > The Card(s) are alone on they interrupt line - already manage that -
> > thank linux audio wiki & others, well explained and documented, and
> > still up to date.
> >

> > Thank you again for reading you all ! Appreciate that a lot !
> >

> > ps : I think it was a  wrong routed message from David. J but i do not
> > want a RT Kernel (do i really need one ?!) for my simple recording
> > needs. A good low latency, well configured Kernel should do the trick.
> As far as I understand, if I may chime in, the -rt kernel from the
> Debian packages does implement several realtime patches, but not all of
> them and is not a completely hard realtime kernel. You should at least
> install one in parallel to your existing kernel and give it a try to
> rule this possibility out and not lose time over speculations.

I think there is some disagreement over whether hard RT is needed for audio work. I think hard RT is meant more for systems running manufacturing hardware.

My systems work just fine for audio work using Debian's and KXStudio's -rt kernels. Is KXStudio's kernel hard RT or low-latency?

David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com