[LAU] Debian 9 - Xrun

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Wed Aug 30 08:16:22 UTC 2017

On 08/30/2017 01:16 AM, David Jones wrote:
> I think there is some disagreement over whether hard RT is needed for audio work. I think hard RT is meant more for systems running manufacturing hardware.

Hard RT in an audio context would only be useful for applying real-time
effects or doing other real-time operations on audio streams that need
very low latency. The OWL and Bela are examples in the audio domain. The
RT patchset doesn't do real hard RT, therefore you need something like
Xenomai or even a dedicated real-time OS. And yes, hard RT is primarily
needed for stuff like CNC machines.

> My systems work just fine for audio work using Debian's and KXStudio's -rt kernels. Is KXStudio's kernel hard RT or low-latency?

I assume Debian's -rt kernels are fully preemptible (PREEMPT RT), you
don't add a -rt suffix to a low-latency or other kernel. Maybe a basic
preemptible kernel but I've never seen those in the wild. The KXStudio
ones should be fully preemptible.

Jeremy