[LAU] looking for midi piano keyboard with "natural" piano touch

David W. Jones gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Dec 5 22:23:55 UTC 2017

On December 5, 2017 12:05:34 PM HST, Christopher Arndt <chris at chrisarndt.de> wrote:
> Am 05.12.2017 um 22:46 schrieb Cedric Roux:
> > I'm looking for a piano keyboard
> > ("midi master keyboard" I think it's called).
> > I'm looking for something with keys that feel
> > more or less like a real piano.
>

> https://www.thomann.de/gb/studiologic_sl88_grand.htm
>
> Anything with a Fatar TP-40 Wood keybed inside should fit your needs,
> think. The other differences between other models and brands basically
> just come down to number of controllers, buttons and pedal jacks.
>
> Another one to consider, with a more "classic" piano look:
>
> https://www.thomann.de/gb/kawai_vpc1.htm
>
> I actually have one of these:
>
> https://www.gearslutz.com/board/reviews/713495-studiologic-sl-990-pro.html
>
> It's very basic, has only DIN MIDI, only sends on MIDI channel one,
> has
> no release velocity and aftertouch and only a sustain pedal input,
> which
> only supports one/off pedal, no half-pedalling. BUT, the keyboard is
> basically the same as the more expensive models, apart from not having
> the new-fangled "ivory touch" nonsense. I use it with Pianoteq
> (running
> on Linux) all the time and it's sufficient for my needs (I'm not a
> pinao
> virtuoso by any means, though).
>
> I guess the follow-up model is this one:
>
> https://www.thomann.de/gb/kawai_vpc1.htm
>
> ... which actually seems like a good offer to me.
>

> But everybody has different tastes when it comes to the feel of
> keyboards and I would tsronly advice you to go to a big music store
> and try out as many models as you can.

I'm a piano player. Looking at the Akai MPK88. I just want a piano feel and aftertouch, some knobs and pads, no built in synthesis, without a ton of total weight for the controller itself. Haven't tried one yet and the selection of MIDI controllers in stores in Hawaii is practically nil. Hopefully the OP has better music stores in his area!

Also have a Yamaha 90ES in the house. Feels just like a piano. Has DIN and USB but I don't know how compatible it is on USB side. The manual says they only guarantee compatibility with a short list of (older) devices. (Of course, it IS an old device.) I don't think it supports aftertouch. It also weighs about 80 pounds without a stand, being built of wood.

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail.