[LAU] looking for midi piano keyboard with "natural" piano touch

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Wed Dec 6 21:35:25 UTC 2017

On Wed, 6 Dec 2017, Tim Goetze wrote:

>> like a real piano. I've seen several models, some have real hammers
>> inside. I wonder if that's useful/necessary to emulate a piano touch.
>
> Yes, it is necessary.  Also, the levers of real piano keys are a lot
> longer than those commonly found in electronic keyboards.  A shorter

I have next to nothing to add, not being a piano player (well not much of
a keyboard player either to be honest) except to say it is interesting. I
personally prefer a "semi-weighted" kb such as the DX7 I have now, as it
does not get in the way of non-percusive playing while still allowing
reasonable percusive playing too. As I said I am not a piano player and so
having something that feels just like a piano is not something I find
desirable. I do understand piano players do want such a thing and find it
interesting what those qualities are.

A quick comment on the m-audio prokeys88. I do not like it's sounds (piano
or otherwise) and we have stopped using it because the microprocessor
inside sometimes wanders off and goes sleepwalking requiring shutdown
startup to get it back to earth. This could be just wear and tear, I
suspect (knowing the owner) it started life as a rental...

Piano sounds are another area. I would say any internal piano sounds seem
dead to me. In fact I would say the same about just about any sampled
sounds. I personally prefer emulated sounds even if they are not as
"accurate" such as some of the FM piano emulations as they have more life
to them and allow more expession on the players part. Piano tech seems to
be one of the best I have heard.

Better a real wurlitzer electric than a sampled piano.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net