[LAU] SSD for Linux audio? (Was: Re: Massive Xruns during recording)

David W. Jones gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Dec 7 03:11:57 UTC 2017

Don't know about audio work, but last holiday season, my wife and I replaced our laptop HDDs with Samsung EVO 850 SSDs. They were on sale at the time, I think we paid ~US$120 each for 512GB drives.

I found some advice on the web re setting the "trim" function for the drives to help them live longer.

But they're blazingly fast compared to HDDs. Debian on my i7/16GB RAM laptop comes up to login screen in about 20 seconds. (I don't use suspend to disk or hibernate.)

I can't imagine them getting in the way of audio performance.

On December 6, 2017 1:14:01 PM HST, "Jeanette C." <julien at mail.upb.de> wrote:
> Hey hey,
> I'm looking into buying an SSD for my system. Information I found is
> sometimes
> conflicting and I'm not up to date on all that. So...
>
> Are there particular compatibility issues (in software/drivers) that I
> must
> take into account? From the hardware side: are there certain
> models/series/vendors that have proved especially advantageous to
> audio work?
>
> My motherboard does offer SATA2 V3, otherwise I see no particular
> hardware
> restrictions.
>
> I'd be grateful for some advice. If on some points there is nothing
> particular
> to consider that would be a sufficient answer in itself.
>
> TIA and best wishes,
>
> Jeanette
>
> --------
> * website: http://juliencoder.de - for summer is a state of sound
> * SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/jeanette_c
>
> You are my summer breeze, my winter sun,
> my springtime soul, my autumn touch of gold
> (Britney Spears)

David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail.