[LAU] looking for midi piano keyboard with "natural" piano touch

Tim Goetze tim at quitte.de
Fri Dec 8 10:55:33 UTC 2017

[Cedric Roux]
>I'm looking for people playing classic music
>(Beethoven, Chopin, Liszt, this kind of things).
>If you fit, what do you think about midi master
>keyboards? Do you use one of them to practice
>your piano? And does it "feel" like the real
>thing? Do you use it with joy, like "mmm, what to play
>today? the piano or the midi keyboard?"

I have practiced a couple of piano pieces from these composers for two
to three hours a day for a while both on a Motif ES8 (Yamaha standard
weighted hammer keyboard) and a Bechstein upright (plus two or three
stints on a Hamburg Steinway grand) and I can tell you it's possible
to play this stuff on any keyboard, but there's no way your output on
a cheap keyboard will be anywhere near the smoothness, fluency and
consistency you'll achieve on proper piano keys.

I have yet to find a digital piano setup that can fully recreate the
close connection a piano gives you to the music, and I'm not sure it's
even attainable with what the market offers at this time.  It's not a
major problem though, the brain is quite good at bridging this gap.

As for the joy thing (my apologies for going out on a tangent),
whatever instrument I end up playing, if I don't enjoy it, I've found
it better not to play at all.  Practice without joy will form a habit
of joyless performing.

Cheers, Tim