[LAU] problem with LFE output "leaking" into rear speaker

john gibby johnalan.gibby at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 13:53:49 UTC 2017

I have an interesting problem.  I'm using optical outputs to a d/a with 8
output channels (Frontier Tango24), but I needed 10 output channels.  So
for the l/r rear channels I'm using the spdif outputs from my RME card
connected to an Orei DA21 2 channel D/A unit.  This seemed to work fine,
but when testing I limited the Ecasound output to LFE only, and I noticed
that somehow the LFE signal gets sent to the l/r rear amp in addition to
the sub amp, and I hear LFE coming out of my small(er) rear speakers.  (I
put a 50hz high-pass filter on them for now, until I figure this out.)

I'm guessing this might have to do with 32 bit vs. 24 bit output or
something.  Here's the line in Ecasound that outputs to Jack:
-a:rear,LFE,sub_left,sub_right,center_sub,center_low,center_mid,side_low,
side_high -f:f32_le,10,48000 -o:jack

Any ideas?
Thanks,
John