[LAU] Pianoteq goes Organteq

Bob van der Poel bob at mellowood.ca
Mon Dec 11 18:08:16 UTC 2017

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 10:14 AM, David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> wrote:

> Bob van der Poel <bob at mellowood.ca> writes:

> That's
> >
> > I wonder how it would work with a breath controller like an EWI?
>
> Well, I found using bellows pressure for Schweller quite unsatisfactory
> and switched off pressure sensitivity eventually.  I'd expect a breath
> controller not to fare better in that regard, and as general controller
> it would be single-manual and monophonic, wouldn't it?
>
> So I expect nothing overwhelming here unless you find one-fingered organ
> playing interesting.  Ok ok, Bach turned the "monophonic" prelude of the
> solo violin partita 3 into an organ prelude, but even on organ you'd
> probably want to play some phrases over more than a single manual.

An EWI can play 2 notes at a time :) It has a "octave" switch which sets it
so a 2nd note, one octave below, sounds at the same time. And a "sustained
note" thing which holds the last note played when you play a 2nd one, until
there is a break in the phrase. The latter is actually quite interesting,
but takes a lot more skill than I have to sound really good.

Monophonic Bach isn't all bad. Remember, the cello concerto (one of the
most beautiful pieces ever written) is, mostly, monophonic :)

But, I figured that the breath controller CC would not be supported. But,
since it's just software, maybe in a future release?

--

**** Listen to my FREE CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob at mellowood.ca
WWW:   http://www.mellowood.ca