[LAU] How to keep an updated "standard" linux audio system?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Dec 11 19:19:47 UTC 2017

On Mon, 11 Dec 2017, Anders Hellquist wrote:

> official falktx distro
> Since I depend on kxstudio repos my options are limited to Debian or Ubuntu and
> right now I am more inclined to go the Debian route.
>
> The main reason for me to switch is U-he plugins that seems to require newer gcc
> API/ABI to work. Also Mixbus is freezing on the same machine so I suspect newer
> libs and kernel drivers might get me a more stable environment.
>
> Any valid reasons to go the Ubuntu route, ya think ?

The Ubuntu LTS seems a good deal, but there are not a lot of people
working on keeping things specific to audio in best running order. In
particular the version of jackd has from time to time been broken (though
it seems just fine these days). The focus of Ubuntu is servers and
desktop. Those parts will work well. I personally would use Ubuntu rather
than a derivitive of Ubuntu which tends to be behind Ubuntu. But though I
do use Ubuntu now and have been since 2010-ish. I am thinking to change
though I am still thinking what I should change to. I have purposely
chosen hardware that has open drivers so I don't need to choose something
that has blobs in the kernel. I personally have stayed away from the Unity
DE and find xfce to be the most stable and usable. Lxde works as well but
is not well polished and I would only use it if my hardware forced me to.
Also, be aware that Ubuntu is looking to stop support for 32 bit system
after 18.04. That is, 18.04 will be the last LTS that comes with 32 bit
kernels that are maintained by the ubuntu kernel team. Lubuntu will (I
believe) continue to offer 32 bit kernels though.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net