[LAU] How to keep an updated "standard" linux audio system?

Fede federicogalland at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 16:14:53 UTC 2017

Thanks for all the answers.

As some of you pointed out, of course one needs to split data and
system partitions and I've been doing that since I can remember.
I used to be a rolling release guy, but I've been using debian on my
main workstation and ubuntu on my netbook for quite a few years
already (in computer relative terms, of course).

Currently I run ubuntu 14.04 on my netbook and debian 8 on my workstation.

I keep it debian based because of the kxstudio repos, and also because
when people design software they target the more mainstream systems,
and keeping it as standard as possible makes you compatible with
interesting bits and pieces of software around the web.

The problem is, as anders stated, that once your distro release turns
around two years of age, developers start targeting newer libraries'
versions and you slowly become incompatible.

But when you upgrade a fixed release distro, you are bound to break
something. Specially if you compiled your own software. And by the
time you need to upgrade, your system is already so custom tailored to
your likings that it is a pain to start over.

Hence the topic of this thread.

I guess there is always a tradeoff. I'll probably dist-upgrade
sometime during summer break (hey, southern hemisphere).

Thanks to all for your assistance!