[LAU] recommendations for output-only audio devices

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Mon Dec 18 17:22:27 UTC 2017

Bill Purvis <bill-+NoItNb8sEvYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> writes:

> I'm currently building a church organ, using the GrandOrgue program to
> handle the software
> side of things. I'm looking for recommendations for a output device
> which can handle 8 (or more)
> outputs. There is no requirement for audio inputs, but that shouldn't
> rule out devices with
> inputs, they simply won't be used. Most of the discussions I've seen
> on this list seem to be
> more geared to multiple inputs rather than outputs.
>
> I'm thinking in terms of a USB device, as most of the internal sound
> cards seem to be
> limited to 5 outputs. Cost is a factor, but reasonable sound quality
> is required.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?

Well, if you can harbor the interface cards (available as PCcard, PCI
card, and Expresscard), an RME Multiface has 8 balanced outputs, 8
balanced inputs at line level (so you cannot connect microphones
directly, but who cares?), headphone out, Midi in and out, ADAT and
S/PDIF in and out.  The D/A converters are excellent so you'll be able
to make do with 48kHz sampling frequency, allowing for 8 additional ADAT
outputs if necessary.

The Midi might come in handy for some applications.

Advantage: robust host interface, excellent audio.  Disadvantage: you'll
buy this used and basically have to get the right interface card with it
since separate acquisition (or "new") will come considerably more
expensive.

Driver situation is reasonable under ALSA, and the DSP mixer can be
batch-controlled using amixer (meaning that you can also set up suitable
headphone and/or monitoring mixes that will be delivered simultaneously
with the output).

It's a reasonably small box.  It's also about 13 years old already but
will likely continue to age better than some other devices.

--
David Kastrup