[LAU] Hardware Soundcard - MOTU 624 AVB Working with Gnu/Linux - Debian 8.7

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Dec 19 17:32:40 UTC 2017

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 11:58 AM, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Dec 2017, Len Ovens wrote:
>
> I have not seen in this thread any meantion of the web interface that the
>> motu AVB series interfaces normally have, so I am guessing this is not one
>> of these boxes. Motu's support in the past with Linux has be notoriously
>> bad until the AVB series, so you may have something that will not work with
>> Linux properly... as in, it is USB2.0 compliant so far as sound transfer is
>> concerned, but expects a provided blob to do device setup. The AVB series
>> uses a web based setup tool that is OS agnostic.
>>

> Sorry it says AVB right in the subject. I missed. Do not trust alsa to set
> the sample rate, use the web based setup tool for that. Make sure that alsa
> and the web setup are the same. make sure the web setup shows a reasonable
> sync source.

​ALSA can set it. But it is *slow* to be set. JACK (1) will typically fail
the first time you start it with a different SR than the current AVB
setting because the device appears to fail to respond. Second time it will
be fine (because the SR change has finally happened).

The bigger problem with the Ultralite AVB (for me) has been that the
capture channels get remapped semi-randomly in blocks of 8 (e.g. input
channel 1-8 can be remapped to be input channel 8-16 etc.) It doesn't
happen except at device open. It is likely an ALSA driver problem and can
probably be solved relatively easily with a USB quirk, but I have not found
the time or inclincation to fix it because I'm not doing any recording with
it.​
​