[LAU] USB audio interfaces with more than 16 digital output channels ?

David W. Jones gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Dec 19 22:27:07 UTC 2017

On December 19, 2017 12:03:27 PM HST, Niklas Reppel <nik at parkellipsen.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i'm currently looking for interfaces that have more than 16 digital
> outputs for higher-order ambisonics
> applications.
>
> One of my requirements would be that they work with recent laptops,
> that
> is laptops that don't have
> expresscard or firewire interfaces, as those unfortunately aren't
> built
> any more.
>
> I've stumbled over a LAU post from 2016 where options were discussed.
>
> There's the DiGiCo UB Madi that is reported to work, but the price is
> ridiculous, and also it seems
> rare/hard to be obtained or even out of production.
>
> The RME Madiface USB aren't working at all (tried one of them myself).
>
> So, the PCIe and ExpressCard versions of the RME MADI interfaces have
> been reported working,
> but has anybody ever tried to use them with USB-to-PCIe or
> USB-to-ExpressCard adapters?
>
> Otherwise, ase the market brought forth new options ?
>
> Any advice is appreciated !
>
> Best,
> Niklas

I understand that modern laptops with USB-C/3.1 ports can use Apple's Firewire<>USB adaptor to connect to external FW devices. There was mention of that on the list a couple of months ago as working with Linux.

Other cheaper FW<>USB apparently don't work.

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail.