[LAU] Bye Bye 32 bit

Will Godfrey willgodfrey at musically.me.uk
Wed Dec 27 18:00:19 UTC 2017

On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 15:16:49 +0000
Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:

>On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 02:22:58PM +0000, Bill Purvis wrote:
>
>> If there is some cunning
>> way to specify an actual number of cores to be used, then the person who
>> wrote a program which uses that deserves to get lots of flak from people
>> using that program!
>
>Depends on how it's used. For example, Ardour allows you to
>set the number of cores used. The default is 'all but one',
>and that makes perfect sense.
>
>Ciao,

Well, this is all very interesting. Using some of these answers as a
springboard and then doing searches it seems that you can actually assign a
thread to a specific core.
If I've understood that correctly you can also ensure that they are also on the
same socket, which apparently improves memory access.

Not sure what I can do with the information. I shall have to do some more
digging... Anyone got a spare JCB :)

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk