[LAU] Bye Bye 32 bit

Jeremy Henty onepoint at starurchin.org
Thu Dec 28 19:11:21 UTC 2017

Will Godfrey wrote:

> If I've understood that correctly you  can also ensure that they are
> also on the same socket, which apparently improves memory access.

I think  this is what  is meant  by NUMA (Non-Uniform  Memory access).
These days, the time it takes for a core to access memory, even on the
same chip, can  depend on where the  core and memory are  on the chip.
So if you want threads to share memory as fast as possible you need to
be able to pin them down.

The downside is that running many CPU-hungry threads close together on
the chip can cause overheating, causing the CPU to throttle everything
back until things cool off.  The  CPU architecture giveth, and the CPU
architecture taketh away.

Regards,

Jeremy Henty