[LAU] Bye Bye 32 bit

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Dec 28 22:16:40 UTC 2017

On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 2:11 PM, Jeremy Henty <onepoint at starurchin.org>
wrote:

> Will Godfrey wrote:
>
> > If I've understood that correctly you  can also ensure that they are
> > also on the same socket, which apparently improves memory access.
>
> I think  this is what  is meant  by NUMA (Non-Uniform  Memory access).

​AFAIK, NUMA is dead for everything except a few research systems.

Parallel/multi-processor systems these days are all "symmetric" (all
processors have symmetrical access to all memory).

NUMA is really, really, really  hard to get right. Why? Cache invalidation.
Several companies, organizations, etc. have tried. Last time I looked (and
it has been a while, but I was quite involved with this stuff in the mid
1990s), everybody failed.​
​