[LAU] JACK recovery

Christopher Arndt chris at chrisarndt.de
Fri Feb 3 18:33:08 UTC 2017

Am 03.02.2017 um 18:37 schrieb Mac:
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>
> Also, I noted that, though I'm using nothing but 3.x python, the install
> sent stuff to:
> /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
>
> The make output makes no mention of python3.

Ah yes, the Makefile assumes that "python" is Python 3, which
unfortunately isn't true for most distros. I fixed that now, but you can
also already override the python binary used by the Makefile:

sudo make PYTHON=python3 install

> But, the example app you provided in this thread works

Good, that means you have all the run-time dependencies installed.
setuptools is just needed when you want to install jack-select via the
Makefile (which runs "python setup.py install" to install the jackselect
Python package).

> if I put it in
> the .../jack-select/jackselect directory.

Yes, because it uses "from jackselect.jackcontrol import ...", so the
"jackselect" Python package has to be either installed in the
system-wide Python module path or be available in the current working
directory where you start the script.

https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/modules.html#the-module-search-path

> Also, it appears in a quick glance at jackselect.py that the paths are
> wored to places on your PC. Am I reading that right?

No.

> from .jackcontrol import ...
>
> Does the .jackcontrol imply a relative directory?

Yes, relative to the file that uses this form of importing. This only
works within Python packages, though. Thatswhy in my example I used
"from jackselect.jackcontrol import ..." (without the leading dot). See
here for an explanation:

https://docs.python.org/2.5/whatsnew/pep-328.html

But you could also just take the "jackcontrol.py" file, and put it next
to your application's main script and then just use "from jackcontrol
import ...".

Chris