[LAU] Motherboard for Linux audio

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Feb 13 18:07:01 UTC 2017

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 10:41:01 -0700, Bob van der Poel wrote:
>Are you sure you want to go with AMD? I ran them for years, but my
>latest computers are running Intel and I think they are more worry
>free. Not sure of course. And it really does "depend" in the end.

Hi,

In the last 3 month I bought a Focusrite 18i20, a 240 GB SSD and a few
other things, more or less just for fun, while being chronically
jobless. Instead of "the few other things", I should have spend the
money for a new computer, but I hoped that my computer still is fit
enough. IOW the question isn't what I actually want, but what I'm able
to pay for, without doing a bank robbery.

At the moment I tend to order

CPU

https://www.reichelt.de/Processors-AMD/AMD-A4-7300/3/index.html?ACTION=3&GROUPID=6108&ARTICLE=148724&OFFSET=16&SID=96WKHx-6wQATcAACJQPws63d7c194437a1deb9681d1ab907a0a41&LANGUAGE=EN

+

Mobo

https://www.reichelt.de/Motherboards-AMD/GA-F2A88XM-HD3/3/index.html?ACTION=3&GROUPID=6132&ARTICLE=142518&OFFSET=16&SID=96WKHx-6wQATcAACJQPws63d7c194437a1deb9681d1ab907a0a41&LANGUAGE=EN

+

RAM

https://www.reichelt.de/DDR3-Single-Modules/30IT0416-1011/3/index.html?ACTION=3&GROUPID=7335&ARTICLE=182757&OFFSET=16&SID=96WKHx-6wQATcAACJQPws63d7c194437a1deb9681d1ab907a0a41&LANGUAGE=EN

+

PSU

https://www.reichelt.de/PC-Netzteile-Standard/XILENCE-XN044/3/index.html?ACTION=3&GROUPID=5015&ARTICLE=151039&OFFSET=16&SID=96WKHx-6wQATcAACJQPws63d7c194437a1deb9681d1ab907a0a41&LANGUAGE=EN

I might order something else, but I can't pay even 2 Cents more. Intel seems to be much more expensive, at least if the mobo should provide one PS/2 socket and one or two PCI slots. My RME card is a PCIe, but I need an additional MIDI interface and don't want to use an USB interface. Since one of my Terratec PCI cards still works, I'll use this one.

Regards,
Ralf