[LAU] Software List in the WIKI and Meta-Data

holger at dehnhardt.org holger at dehnhardt.org
Fri Jan 13 12:21:19 UTC 2017

Several times I was looking for a list of audio applications on Linux, when I was searching for a
program or tool that is able to do something special.

There is a list in the linuxaudio.org wiki, but it often is outdated. I had an idea to resolve this
problem and was trying some things the last days. Now that Chris McKenzie wrote on the developer
list that he is about updating this list and is asking a question what catogories might be useful,
I would like to share my thoughts with you (I hope the developers are on this list too).

Have you ever heard about schema.org (www.schema.org)? They are developing schemas for meta data
inside websites. There is an set of classes and properties for software applications but it is not
detailed enough for this purpose but: it is extendable.

My idea is, that every devloper tags the site where his application / effect / tool is presented
with appropriate tags. register their site within an collector and we collect this meta data daily and create an dynamic list out of this.

Every time a developer updates his site this information will be collected automatically and the
software list is nearly up to date. (Maybe one day behind the updates)

I have set up an example page with some structured data. You can see the contained data when you
open https://search.google.com/structured-data/testing-tool
and use https://www.dehnhardt.org as the url to test. (Rui, I hope you dont'n mind I took a
screenshot from QTractor...)
You can see two panels there: In the left the html with the meta-tags and on the right you see what
data can be extracted. Don't worry abot the unknown type as it is what I extended to the schema)

What do you think about this idea? If you like it, I would like to debate the structure of the meta data here before writing an proposal for schema.org. I'm willing to write the aggregator for the meta data as well.

Holger