[LAU] wiki categorization: different kinds of music?

Chris McKenzie kristopolous at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 13 21:42:24 UTC 2017

I feel like there's different types of music production.  For instance,
I think recording a live Jazz band is different than working with a
soundtracker clone.

I believe this distinction may be important because people have a broad
set of ideas of what kind of music they'd like to do and it may be
appropriate to divide the tools into different "camps". The camps aren't
mutually exclusive.

The three camps I'm tentative thinking of are

 1. microphone recorded
 2. synthetically orchestrated
 3. experimental

To further build this rational, many times when trying music software I
think "clearly this is a well-thought out piece of software. I just must
not know what I'm doing. Let me toil some more" only to conclude after
many weeks that it wasn't designed to do what I'm looking for but
instead does something adjacent to it.  Alternatively, one could argue
this was a false impression I hastily concluded and in fact I dismissed
a potentially great tool because I didn't give it enough time to learn.

Has anyone else thought about this?