[LAU] Introducing AVL Drumkits LV2!

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Mon Jan 16 10:21:34 UTC 2017

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 18:59:50 -0800
info at bandshed.net wrote:

Hi Glen,

Robin:

>>> Personally I think if you want nuances on HIHat and Snare there's
>>> no way around recording a real drum-kit.

jonetsu:

>> Of course not if you consider, in general, physical modelling.

> Nobody's claiming to have re-invented drum sampling here, [...]

This is why I have mentioned 'in general'.  The assertion by Robin
about not having other choice than to record a real drum kit can be
challenged - in general - by the notion of having physical modeling.

> Our budget differs somewhat from U-he :), also we want to be cheap
> on CPU as well as RAM.

CPU is a concern that is explored by u-he.  As they state, it's not
much if people cannot use it.  pianoteq does just fine, so one could
wonder - in general - what could be the difference between the
physical modeling of piano and drums regarding CPU usage.

> be achieved even with bone-simple single-layer sample hosts, On the
> other hand put the most sophisticated modeling and software fakery
> into the hands of someone clueless about what they are trying to
> achieve and the results will speak for themselves.

Well, I would not want to go down the road of qualifying what people
are doing.  I've started making music with glass bottles and PVC pipes
recorded on a $15 Radio Shack tape cassette.  And I thought that was
an elaborate and expensive setup at the time.

About what you call 'sophisticated modeling and software fakery' on
the other hand hopefully does not translate any discomfort regarding
this technology since it is quite the contrary as it brings human
response for acoustic instruments into today's electronic musical
world.  Simply play one of pianoteq pianos or vibraphones and you will
immeditely feel it - it is very clear and distinctive.  The actual
opposite of being fake as it enables people to express themselves much
more.  Bending samples to one's will OTOH remains mostly in the realm
of the machine.  What is heard is mostly the expression of the
technology, which is essentially apart from the physical expression of
the human heart, even though people are doing it.  In general :)