[LAU] Introducing AVL Drumkits LV2!

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Jan 16 15:05:14 UTC 2017

On Mon, 16 Jan 2017, jonetsu wrote:

> CPU is a concern that is explored by u-he.  As they state, it's not
> much if people cannot use it.  pianoteq does just fine, so one could
> wonder - in general - what could be the difference between the
> physical modeling of piano and drums regarding CPU usage.

One piano model vs many drum models?

> world.  Simply play one of pianoteq pianos or vibraphones and you will
> immeditely feel it - it is very clear and distinctive.  The actual

Personally, I would say that the difference in modelling a piano with keys
where the inputs for any one key is known is a lot different that the
number of sounds just one snare drum can make just by hitting it in a
different place. This does not even include things like rim shots (again
with various touch points for both skin and rim) or sidestick. MIDI
describes a keyboard quite well, a drum not so much. I don't think there
is even a controller that comes close to picking up the whole information
of a drum performance... for even one drum, let alone a kit or percusion
section. I suspect that really getting a drum performance in MIDI would
require a model for each drum, that uses the note numbers as stick zones.
So pianoteq times 8 or so.... and then no controller anyway. (one might
get away with one drum engine for all toms... might) This is the reasona
guitar synth sounds like a synth... a keyboard synth IMO.

pianoteq is a wonderful sounding instrument. If I was a piano player, or
even had a piano controller (rather than a DX7), I would have it. It
sounds way better than any sampled piano I have heard.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net