[LAU] Introducing AVL Drumkits LV2!

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Mon Jan 16 16:16:45 UTC 2017

On 01/16/2017 04:05 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jan 2017, jonetsu wrote:
>
>> CPU is a concern that is explored by u-he.  As they state, it's not
>> much if people cannot use it.  pianoteq does just fine, so one could
>> wonder - in general - what could be the difference between the
>> physical modeling of piano and drums regarding CPU usage.
>
> One piano model vs many drum models?
>

>> world.  Simply play one of pianoteq pianos or vibraphones and you will
>> immeditely feel it - it is very clear and distinctive.  The actual
>
> Personally, I would say that the difference in modelling a piano with
> keys where the inputs for any one key is known is a lot different that
> the number of sounds just one snare drum can make just by hitting it in
> a different place. This does not even include things like rim shots
> (again with various touch points for both skin and rim) or sidestick.
> MIDI describes a keyboard quite well,

indeed. unless you use toilet-brushes: https://youtu.be/Aln6DztAsMQ
one should file a pianoteq feature request for that :)

> a drum not so much. I don't think
> there is even a controller that comes close to picking up the whole
> information of a drum performance... for even one drum, let alone a kit
> or percusion section. I suspect that really getting a drum performance
> in MIDI would require a model for each drum, that uses the note numbers
> as stick zones. So pianoteq times 8 or so.... and then no controller
> anyway. (one might get away with one drum engine for all toms... might)
> This is the reasona guitar synth sounds like a synth... a keyboard synth
> IMO.

That. and a a head-start of years of CPU optimizations.

The model of strings and resonances inside a body are also well
understood. There are also lots of publications on the subject. It's
still far from trivial to get this right, but still.

As you said, the degrees of freedom on a piano are far less than those
on a drum, also prior state of the instrument is a lot more complex for
drums, particularly cymbals and drumrolls.

> pianoteq is a wonderful sounding instrument. If I was a piano player, or
> even had a piano controller (rather than a DX7), I would have it. It
> sounds way better than any sampled piano I have heard.

+1. It's an awesome piece of engineering.

ciao,
robin