[LAU] using Jack an interface to ecasound

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Thu Jan 19 23:48:33 UTC 2017

On Wed, January 18, 2017 9:10 pm, john gibby wrote:
> I'm making progress.  I believe I actually have jack2, with "legacy server
> jackd" included along with it.

I have trouble understanding what that means, jack2 is an implementation
of a jack protocol server, the original jackd is also an implementation of
a jack protocol server, they are functionally interchangeable, but you can
only have one or the other installed on your machine, not both.
Perhaps that wording means that your distribution has jack2, with both
jackd and jackdbus installed.  That is OK, but as you seem to have found
out sometimes an application will automatically start jackdbus which then
limits how you have to interact with the already running server.

> But, I'm still a little unclear on what order to start things up in.  For
> now, I'm only worried about jack2, qjackctl and pianoteq;

My preference is to start qjackctl first.  There are configuration options
to allow you to choose whether you want to start jackd or jackdbus, there
are convenient start and stop controls, the ability to save preset
combinations of jackd parameters you want to use (sample rate, latency,
audio interface, etc.), you can easily show or hid the console messages,
open a window to make connections.  Basically everything you need to
interact with jack in one convenient place.

My usual process would be start qjackctl, load whichever preset I needed,
start jack, then start all the jack using applications I wanted.

--
Chris Caudle