[LAU] Roland A500S: snd-usb-audio error -5

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Jan 28 23:19:15 UTC 2017

On 01/28/2017 01:11 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2017, david wrote:

>>> I found the solution. Apparently every Roland series 500 keyboard has
>>> an ADVANCED MODE switch. Turning it off solved the problem.
>>>
>>> The switch is on the left side of the keyboard, I suspect this 'trick'
>>> holds true for many A-xyz Roland keyboard.
>>>
>>> I'll add a few more words to make this pop up on search engines:
>>> my Roland a-500 (a-500s, a-800pro) keyboard was not recognised, but I
>>> solved the problem.
>>
>> That's interesting. I wonder of their "Advanced" term is just a
>> synonym for "Proprietary"?
>
>> From the manual:
>     "This mode utilizes the A-500S’s special, advanced MIDI driver.
>     This advanced driver uses *FPT technology for rapid, high-performance
>     MIDI transmissions."
>
> Standard driver:
>     "This mode uses the standard MIDI driver included with
>     the OS. Use this if you do not have the special driver
>     installed. This setting can be used only when running Windows XP."
>
> The manual does not claim this is Roland technology or that it is
> licenced from someone else. Looking up FPT USB MIDI on the web does only
> return Roland/Cakewalk pages for as long as I looked.

Sounds a bit proprietary to me. Even if a technology isn't patented or
otherwise legally restricted - if no one else uses it, it's effectively
proprietary.

> I did find that this is the advanced mode in the Roland UM-ONE which I
> used to have (it is on loan right now) as well. I remember trying that
> MIDI interface in Linux with both modes and MIDI seemed to work just
> fine either way.... However, I would also point out that the speed was
> limited to real MIDI speeds in any case so it may have been a
> compatablity mode in case there was a Roland kb plugged in as well, and
> not the full advanced mode. Who knows... (maybe my switch was broken too)

That's possible. Never underestimate the power of hardware to break!

Haven't most modern/current MIDI devices switched to USB? If so, do the
old MIDI hardware transmission speed limits still apply?

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community