[LAU] Roland A500S: snd-usb-audio error -5

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Jan 28 23:41:43 UTC 2017

On Sat, 28 Jan 2017, david wrote:

> On 01/28/2017 01:11 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 Jan 2017, david wrote:
>>
>>> That's interesting. I wonder of their "Advanced" term is just a
>>> synonym for "Proprietary"?
>>
>> The manual does not claim this is Roland technology or that it is
>> licenced from someone else. Looking up FPT USB MIDI on the web does only
>> return Roland/Cakewalk pages for as long as I looked.
>
> Sounds a bit proprietary to me. Even if a technology isn't patented or
> otherwise legally restricted - if no one else uses it, it's effectively
> proprietary.

I agree, in general if I driver is needed for both Windows and MacOS, I
concider it proprietary.

> Haven't most modern/current MIDI devices switched to USB? If so, do the
> old MIDI hardware transmission speed limits still apply?

It depends... Some just take the base midi and add a USB chip in which
case there is no speed improvement. Beyond that, I don't know. Even USB1.1
is certainly able to go faster.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net