[LAU] Hardware Soundcard - MOTU 624 AVB Working with Gnu/Linux - Debian 8.7

Anders Hellquist lau at hellquist.net
Sat Jul 22 22:20:18 UTC 2017

There is confusion for sure.

if I link my two Motu ultralite AVB cards together by using the two AVB
ethernet sockets and a Cat5 or Cat6 cable. I have used all ethernet
connectors available and the AVB devices can talk to each other but no
other networking is available. If I point a browser to any of the ip's of
those boxes i will not get an answer since there is no possible route to
those cards that only have a link between them. The cards have no built in
wifi or extra ethernet jack.. How could I possibly connect to them except
by usb and Class Compliant Audio connection which does not give me the
extra IP over USB that the windows/osx driver provides...

I have never said anything about AVB over USB but only mentioned the
missing linux link which is the possibility to access the http web gui
trough the USB (or for cards with Thunderbolt) driver provided ip-link (for
control only)

As I tried to explain. Linux users must have a AVB compliant switch to get
a network link to be able to manage Linked AVB devices OR have windows/osx
boxes connected via USB/Thunderbolt to one of the AVB devices.

Trust me, I am not confused but only stating the obvious that linking to
cards with just a cable will create an isolated AVB cluster that will not
be manageable from linux computers until someone figures out how to write a
driver to get the IP-over USB passthru to work.

/Anders