[LAU] Monitor for usage with Ardour.

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Wed Jul 26 16:40:46 UTC 2017

Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> writes:

> mainly for Ardour usage I want to get rid of my CRT monitor. I wonder
> how much difference is between a 300,- € and a 150,- € LCD monitor.

You still have a CRT??  Wow.  I was one of the last holdouts I knew
getting an LCD panel, and that was ten years ago!  Everyone else I knew
had one way before that.

I remember when LCD's first came out, everyone was raving about how much
better the display was supposed to be, but it was hype at the time.  The
first generation panels were awful and people just couldn't see it
because they were so taken with the new product.  Now, that has
reversed.  It's now pretty hard to find a modern LCD that isn't better
than just about any CRT ever made, even amongst the cheap ones.  And
they are pretty cheap, too.  And you can play games on them without
refresh problems.  And they don't have image consistency problems every
time you turn them on like analog CRT's did with scan geometry, color,
brightness, etc. on each powerup -- they pretty much look the same every
time you run them.  And best of all, they're not aiming an x-ray gun
right at your head and emitting enough EM noise to possibly flip bits in
nearby storage media like CRT's did, especially big CRT's.

Get an LCD.  It's not often that a new technology comes around that
completely whips its predecessor in every way, but LCD really did it to
CRT.

As for which one, I don't have a brand preference, but I'm on the glossy
side of the glossy versus matte war.  I'd rather see true colors.  I
couldn't care less about glare/reflection.  When I started, we had CRT's
with no anti-reflective coating, and people just dealt with it, so that
doesn't bother me as long as I don't feel like there's a film of grime
covering up the colors of my image, which is what matte/anti-glare
finish looks like to me.

> Could somebody recommend a monitor <= 300,- €? At the moment I tend to
> buy the Eizo or the LG. For usage with Ardour, as well as averaged
> desktop usage, IOW office, browser etc..

As far as using Ardour goes, I'd recommend whatever you end up liking,
you get two of them.  DAW's can take lots of desktop space, so a dual
monitor setup is a really good idea.

--
		+	With the rise of social networking