[LAU] Artiphon

Bill Purvis bill at billp.org
Sat Mar 4 12:44:25 UTC 2017

On 17/02/17 10:06, Bill Purvis wrote:
> I came across web pages and videos of this device.
>
> http://artiphon.com.
>
> I'm quite tempted but thought I'd ask if anyone has tried one.
> The reviews seem to go for Apple (iOS) software, but the blurb
> implies that it is just a midi device, so it should be usable
> on Linux.
>
> Any opinions?
>
> Thanks
> Bill
I finally decided I couldn't live without one and bought it!

After a bit of fiddling about I have got it working under Linux
with Jack and Fluidsynth. It will take a bit of getting used to apart from
simple guitar strumming which is fine. The 'virtual capo' facility works
well, you can transpose up OR DOWN anything up to an octave!

I can't get the Windows program to run under wine - it comes up with
'Need Window 7 or greater'! They are being cagey about releasing the
protocols to program the device.

I'm hoping to borrow a Mac or Windows PC to do a bit of customising.
Maybe I can interpose something to sneak out the Midi bytes and figure
out the protocol!

The device has two built-in speakers, but nothing comes out of them.
It seems they are using an extended USB MIDI which support audio? Is this
simply treating the device as two USB devices - a MIDI port and an Audio
port?
It doesn't show up under the Audio ports with QjackCtl. Anyone comes
across this?

Bill

| Bill Purvis                            |
| email: bill at billp.org                  |