[LAU] jack, pulse = confusion, at least for me

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Mar 13 19:04:17 UTC 2017

On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 14:24:35 -0400, Mac wrote:
>If I understand your reply, dbus provides some magic that allows
>pulseaudio (as installed with UBS16.04) to see when a jackd2 server is
>started

The Ubuntu package name is "jackd2", but actually _not_ _jackd_ does
use _dbus_, it's _jackdbus_.

"Desktop" apps could use dbus, a https://www.freedesktop.org/ thingy. As
everything else related to https://www.freedesktop.org/ dbus could be
useful, but not necessarily is useful for every task. A bowling ball is
useful for bowling, but less good to play volleyball.

The package provides

  /usr/bin/jackd

as well as

  /usr/bin/jackdbus

http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/amd64/jackd2/filelist

I don't know why the Ubuntu Studio team makes it the default for Ubuntu
Studio. There seems to be no way to successfully argue against it. DAW
users very seldom need jackdbus and other users very seldom need the
jack sound server at all.

That jackdbus is installed seems not to be related to issues. Nothing
ever auto-starts jackdbus on my Linux installs. I'm running Arch Linux
as well as an "expert" Ubuntu install:

[root at archlinux moonstudio]# systemd-nspawn -q
[root at moonstudio ~]# grep PRETTY /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS"
[root at moonstudio ~]# dpkg -l jackd2 | grep ii
ii  jackd2         1.9.10+20150825git1ed50c92~dfsg-1ubuntu1 amd64        JACK Audio Connection Kit (server and example clients)
[root at moonstudio ~]# cat /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.jackaudio.service
[D-BUS Service]
Name=org.jackaudio.service
Exec=/usr/bin/jackdbus auto
[root at moonstudio ~]# logout
[root at archlinux moonstudio]# grep PRETTY /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Arch Linux"
[root at archlinux moonstudio]# pacman -Q jack2
jack2 1.9.10.r241.ge0281d82-1
[root at archlinux moonstudio]# cat /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.jackaudio.service
[D-BUS Service]
Name=org.jackaudio.service
Exec=/usr/bin/jackdbus auto

On both installs jackdbus is inactive.