[LAU] Arch Wiki Professional_audio

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Mar 30 16:38:51 UTC 2017

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 12:06:53 -0400, Robert Edge wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 11:57 AM, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:

>>> Not in my experiences, but ok, then we simply don't remove it from
>>> the Wiki. Should we stay with the Wiki as is, or are there at least
>>> a few other points we should edit?
>>>

>> Then people should be aware that using most USB audio interfaces on
>> a PC originally made for windows is not a pro audio solution...
>>

>Depends on what you need it for, but in general I think that is a fair
>assessment.
>
>If I find that the studio I am paying to use cannot support monitoring
>through the machine because it's prosumer USB interface isn't stable at
>usable latencies, I'm finding another studio.

In a studio they should use a very good mixer to provide zero
monitoring latency, with what ever effects you want. How much latency
the machine has got doesn't matter at all, since this is compensated by
the DAW. Virtual instruments are something else. I'm aware that some
expect lower latency from samples, than the original instruments have
got ;). Don't get me wrong, I prefer most possible latency as well, but
the Wiki isn't about latency, it's about professional audio and it
makes no sense to continue such a fruitless discussion. The Wiki is
partial outdated, conflicting in hints to e.g. the AUR linux-rt config
and hints how to manually edit a kernel RT config. Etc. pp. ...

At the moment I'm working on an Ardour project using a RME HDSPe AIO,
44.1 KHz (I couldn't chose 48 KHz for this project), 128 frames,
2 periods. FWIW I usually get lower latency when using a pro-sumer USB
Focusrite, than when using the RME PCIe card, but it doesn't matter,
since around 5.8 ms are ok. Btw. QjackCtl does report 5.8 ms, not 2.9
ms ;). In regards to latency pro-sumer not necessarily must be better
than professional. There are many components that have impact on
latency. Depending on what I do, I easily could go down to values
between 1 ms and 5 ms, but not for advanced audio productions. If I use
another mobo, I get different values.

Regards,
Ralf