[LAU] Arch Wiki Professional_audio

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Thu Mar 30 21:31:02 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 05:42:04PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> What about 1000Hz and the other questions? No opinions?

Just my 0.02 Euro:

I've been using archlinux for the last 8 years on so on at least
10 different systems. Audio applications have been a bit more
challenging than average, with up to 128 ins/outs and setups
using more than 15 Jack apps with up to 1000 or so ports.

In all cases I just used the standard Arch installation, no
modified kernel, kernel arguments, configuration or tuning
of any sort, and a period size of 256 frames.

All this with zero problems.

So my concolusion is that most of what is recommended in
the wiki is not necessary. What I *do* recommend is

* Use a lightweight window manager instead of a fat desktop
  (I use fluxbox - lean and mean).

* Keep the 'pro' and desktop sound system (if you want any
  at all) completely separate.

Ciao,

--
FA