[LAU] OT: Monitor setups

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun May 7 21:37:35 UTC 2017

On Sun, 7 May 2017 22:18:15 +0200, Maurizio Berti wrote:
>Not that the Patchage visualisation was perfect, but, at least, I was
>able to organize clients according to their role and connections; it
>wasn't easy to work with that project, but, at least, everytime I
>looked at the Patchage window everything was clear at the first
>glance.

Hi,

the more graphic gimmickry, the less professional. You'll see more
graphic gimmickry on cheap consumer hifi gear, than on better class
consumer hifi gear, let alone professional gear. The same is true for
software. For what purpose do you need a graphical overview of
all connections during a production?

Real gear as well as virtual gear is connected one time, there's no
need to have a picture of all connections. Select the MIDI channel of
the wanted MIDI instrument, name the audio and bus faders, that's it.
On a real mixing console you would use a permanent maker to write on
tape.

If I need to use QjackCtl, than I'm not using the "Patchbay", I'm using
the "Connect" tabs, so I get separated MIDI and Audio patchbays. To
store and restore settings, I'm using aj-snapshot.

If there should be the need to check connections, I don't care about
the connection lines (Bezier curves are disable, I prefer straight
lines), I use mouse or cursor keys, so the ports that are connected get
highlighted.

Assuming e.g. Ardour could do everything, than I even don't use
Ardour's visualisations of all connections, I only use the mixer's
options for track and bus connections. If there should be a reason to
check a connection, I launch QjackCtl and use it as already described.

Keep it simple and straightforward!

Regards,
Ralf