[LAU] OT: Monitor setups

Maurizio Berti maurizio.berti at gmail.com
Sun May 7 20:18:15 UTC 2017

> On 05.05.2017 04:26, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> In the real
>> world we are using a patchbay, to easily connect messy placed gear.In
>> short, QjackCtl does the right thing, while IMO the approach of
>> Patchage is (to put it politely) absurd.
>>

> There's nothing polite about that. Likewise, there's nothing polite to say
> about that dimwitted comparison to physical gear.
>
> Are you even aware of Patchage's automatic layout feature?

And, also, the ability to split/join client ports, which actually can allow
you to have a layout similar to that QjackCtl offers.
I tend to agree with Thorsten on this matter. The fact is, there's
obviously no better software at all, it all depends on your needs and your
habits.
For me, QjackCtl's patchbay isn't good enough for my workflow, expecially
when working with a lot of clients and with completely different setups per
project. And I don't even use the automatic layout, since I really need to
put clients where I want.
Also, comparison to physical gear makes sense only in certain situations:
even in the real world, I always use completely different setups and
patching, I really wouldn't do much with a "standard" patchbay, which is
usually intended for pretty standard (and, possibly, always similar)
layouts.
I once had an orchestral setup with 10 virtual instrument clients (with 16
audio output ports each), a couple of custom made mididings script (each of
them with 8-10 ports), external effects and, finally, ardour. Trust me, in
QjackCtl that would have been a mess of intersected bezier-curves. Not that
the Patchage visualisation was perfect, but, at least, I was able to
organize clients according to their role and connections; it wasn't easy to
work with that project, but, at least, everytime I looked at the Patchage
window everything was clear at the first glance. That wouldn't have
happened with QjackCtl.
I also don't like very much Ardour's patchbay layout: while it makes sense,
it takes a lot of space and you have to do a lot of scrolling and
eye-searching when you have a lot of clients active.
But, then again, what's important is that you feel right about the tool you
use, so, that doesn't matter: they're completely different approaches, they
work fine and make sense in their workflow concept.

Maurizio

--
È difficile avere una convinzione precisa quando si parla delle ragioni del
cuore. - "Sostiene Pereira", Antonio Tabucchi