[LAU] Synthesising a midi file with aeolus

Jeanette C. julien at mail.upb.de
Sat May 20 10:43:35 UTC 2017

May 20 2017, Francesco Ariis has written:

> Hello audio users,
>    this is a "I have a .mid and I want an .ogg", Aeolus edition.
>    1. aeolus -A
>    2. aconnet 14 128 # midi through to aeolus
>    3. fire up alsamixer and switch CAPTURE from Front Mic to Stereo Mix
>    4. arecord foobar.wav
>    5. aplaymidi -p 14 somemidi.mid
> So I ask to you: "is there a simpler way"? Thanks in advance
Hi Francesco,
Why do you need to connect the MIDI through to Aeolus. Aeolus uses
sequencer ports and so does aplaymidi:
aplaymidi -p 128:0 file.mid
If you want/need ALSA as the audio system, the amixer command can change
mixer settings on the commandline, this can be scripted.

If, on the other hand, you are willing/able to use JACK, the whole thing
becomes very simple, you can set Aeolus to use JACK output (option -J )
and then use a simple tool like jack_capture, ecasound or similar to
record the audio of Aeolus. If your recording tool can render .ogg
directly, fine, otherwise you can use oggenc to convert it and even
automatically tag it, if you can deduce some tagging info from the call
to your script.

HTH.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

--------
When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3