[LAU] html5 in ff through jack

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Wed Nov 1 17:01:02 UTC 2017

Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf-ZCLZIpdjs0kJGwgDXS7ZQA at public.gmane.org>
writes:

> On Wed, 01 Nov 2017 17:10:24 +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
>>> I don't have pulseaudio installed 1. because it gains me absolutely
>>> nothing and 2. for historical reasons, it did cause endless trouble
>>> when it was installed and upstream was ignorant and scornful.
>>> Nowadays pulseaudio might cause no issues anymore, but then again,
>>> why should I run something that I don't need?
>>
>>Because all the main desktop applications use it, volume buttons are
>>routed through it, and it makes reassigning different devices easy.
>
> I'm seemingly not using any of those "main" desktop applications.

Firefox, Kdenlive and most other video editors, VLC media player, ogg123
and so on.

> For what purpose do I need volume buttons?

To adjust playback volume?

> I'm really interested in the purpose of those "main" desktop
> applications and several volume controls and how often it is required
> to reassign the audio device. For what desktop workflow is this
> needed?

Want to use a Bluetooth soundbar?  Want to switch between built-in audio
and external audio card?  Want to switch between _different_ external
audio cards?

> Apart from apps for audio productions I nearly have no app that make
> sound, at best I want some apps to provide a signal using the bell (a
> simple PC speaker beep). If I don't make music I'm close to 100% using
> the computer without sound.  Sometimes I need the bell (beep) and very
> seldom I watch video streams with audio, not several at the same time,
> one after the other. The tube player thingy usually has got a volume
> control, than I could use hdspmixer to adjust the volume of the one
> and only audio device for regular usage and right beside me is the
> analog mixing console and the amp.

My computer is carried around a lot.  Sometimes it is connected to audio
hardware and external sound devices, sometimes not.  I don't reboot all
the time.

> I can reach all the gear without standing up. I guess I've already
>  more than enough volume controllers in the audio chain. If I would
> dislike to put out my arm a few cm to adjust the amps volume control,
> I still could build in a new battery into the amp's remote control. My
> PC still doesn't play vinyl, I don't have a desktop with a waste bin,
>  even not one that doesn't make sound. The desktop apps I'm using
> don't sound like the bridges of star trek spaceships.

It sounds like you have to invest a lot of thought to work around using
mainstream solutions.  I got better things to do with my time rather
than letting some of my tools dictate all of my workflow.

--
David Kastrup