[LAU] Can you experts answer questions about a MIDI a composer sent me?

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Nov 15 06:48:56 UTC 2017

On 11/12/2017 10:01 PM, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> david wrote:
>> In subsequent emails, he mentioned an 11th track in the MIDI. As the
>> Rosegarden project shows, I only found 10 tracks.
>
> The file has one track with tempo information, and ten instrument tracks.
>
>>> The rhythm is completely gone, the speed is wrong too
>>> and there is one instrument that does not belong there.
>>>
>>> Even the "syncopated" Hirajoshi scale melody is there
>>> [when he plays his original composition using his software
>>> on his system] this has completely vanished in your version.
>
> Apparently, the synthesizer you are using works differently.  But it
> might also be possible that the MIDI file is not an accurate
> representation of the piece.  (Is he using MIDI at all?)

He generates his MIDI file somehow from a fractal image. Someone else
(on the fractal list that gave birth to this) reports that he uses
another file to specify rhythm, another file to set the timbre, and
(actually) TWO different format fractal files.

So however he's "playing" this composition, he's not using any kind of
standard software.

>> But I wonder - could someone knowledgeable check the MIDI?
>
> It's a very plain MIDI file, without any unusual controllers.  There is
> constant tempo, each track sets the volume, and then only note-on/-off
> messages.
>
> Regards,
> Clemens

Thanks, Clemens and Edgar.