[LAU] FOSS DAW recommendations

Robert Edge thumbknucklerocks at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 06:28:16 UTC 2017

> My audio originates from soft synths driven by Rosegarden, melody input
> via MIDI to RG. If I was multitracking a pile of external audio sources
> like guitars and mics, I'd use Ardour.
>
> What Ralf thinks about it is Ralf's opinion, not mine.
>
> Jeez, people. I'm not against Ardour as it currently is, nor demanding it
> be 'dumbed down'. So can we all just get along?

yeah, I could have phrased that better.  My bad.

I just don't really consider what you are doing to be a DAW.  Rosegarden is
a MIDI sequencer with a kinda sorta DAW bolted on.  I'm glad it's useful
for you.  I've only used it to do some very bare bones MIDI mock ups of
stuff and It seemed to do that fine.

Dude said he wanted a DAW to do DAW stuff with.  He is savvy enough to
operate Supercollider.

Ardour is a for-real DAW that can do anything any other DAW can do
(mostly).  Not by Linux standards but period.  Full stop.  (mostly)

I'm telling you guys, there isn't another FOSS option operating at that
level.  Not even close.  Not if you what you want is a DAW.