[LAU] FOSS DAW recommendations

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Fri Nov 17 17:00:09 UTC 2017

Len Ovens <len-ODU3Ot18rIYsV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org> writes:

> On Fri, 17 Nov 2017, David Kastrup wrote:
>
> That is not quite true. the periodic saves are not saved to the
> project. However, there are some things (like adding a new track) that
> do force a save so I can see that getting confusing.
>
>> I recently had a demonstration where the mics were wired wrong and so
>> the two "stereo" channels I recorded on were mixed up.  You think I
>> managed to split the tracks into mono in order to salvage two usable
>> tracks?  No beef.  I'd have had to do a stem export and reimport.  Or
>> something.  Didn't really fit in the demo time frame.
>
> The balance control can be set to -100% for stereo image reversal
> though. Assuming I understand the problem correctly.

You don't.  I didn't have left1&right1 and left2&right2 as stereo
channels (reversed or not) but rather left1&left2 and right1&right2.
The gains were set according to expectation, meaning stereo track 2 was
gained low (large diaphragm) and stereo track 1 was gained higher (small
diaphragm, moderate output).  So left2 was overdriven and needed to get
scrapped and I would have wanted to work with just left1 and right1
(even though right1 was recorded with quite lower gain).  I wasn't able
to split the stereo tracks in order to get rid of left2 and right2.  I
would have needed to keep stereo track 1 left and stereo track 2 left
and, pan the latter right and pull up its (digital) gain.

Splitting the stereo channels into mono would have been the easiest way
to trash the bad tracks and create a stereo image from the rest.

No obvious way to get this done in talk time.

--
David Kastrup