[LAU] FOSS DAW recommendations

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Fri Nov 17 17:42:20 UTC 2017

Robert Edge <thumbknucklerocks at gmail.com> writes:

> I can't tell if you are trying to be ironic or not.
>
> You want something intuitive to a novice and your example is EMACS?
>
> I use EMACS everyday.  C code, Haskell code, Lilypond markup, even
> using search and replace to hack Pure Data files sometimes.  Love it,
> been on board for years.
>
> You are out of your mind if you think it's software that a novice is
> going to immediately be able to solve problems with.

Depends on what "solve problems" means.  Editing files works.  That's
not as much solving problems as applying the solutions somebody else
solved for you.  But as a rule, it works reasonably well without getting
thrown into the deep end.

There are menus and icons and help-over texts, and their amount and
arrangement actually gets common work done.

It's not the Emacs from 25 years ago.  That was a vengeful god not
tolerating others and throwing help screens at you the first time you
dared to hit backspace.

Mind you, under the hood its complexity has of course grown.  But the
presented user controls allow people to get into it without too much of
a culture clash.

--
David Kastrup