[LAU] FOSS DAW recommendations

Thorsten Wilms self at thorstenwilms.com
Fri Nov 17 18:44:07 UTC 2017

On 17.11.2017 19:11, David Kastrup wrote:
> Robert Edge<thumbknucklerocks at gmail.com>  writes:
>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er7OeIFALN8
> Ah, so "(region name)/edit/make mono regions" does not actually edit the
> region.  Nor does it make it mono.  Nor does it create mono tracks.  But
> it adds two mono regions to the_region_  _list_  (which is rather
> inconspicuous and somewhere else on the screen, by default not at all)
> from where you can then fill newly created mono tracks.  It doesn't
> bother mentioning what it does in something akin to Emacs' echo area,
> though: "copied mono regions to region list" would have been a great
> hint.

A few years back, I had a similar issue the first time(s) I tried to
bounce. Yes, there's a problem with the visibility of the outcome, yes,
it's a need-to-know thing. With any kind of notification, you have the
issue of it being noticeable enough, without distracting those who
already know what and how it will happen.

I would have liked a bounce-in-place just like you might desire a
split-to-mono-and-convert-to-2-tracks feature. There's something to be
said for "atomic" operations though, not doing 3 steps in combination
while not offering any one of those steps in isolation. If you add both
single operations and each do-that-and-replace-the-input-with-the-result
variant, you likely end up with (even more) unwieldy menus.

There's also the aspect of a region-level operation having consequences
on removal and addition of tracks, those again having consequences on
routing.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: