[LAU] FOSS DAW recommendations

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Fri Nov 17 20:51:01 UTC 2017

Robert Edge <thumbknucklerocks-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
writes:

> I'm not sure if you are clear on what it is you are trying to do, or how a
> DAW works.
>
> What behavior are you expecting?  Specifically.
>
> You said you had a stereo region and you wanted to edit it as two mono
> regions.  That's how you do it.
>
> Works pretty much the same way on any DAW.

Sigh.  "Edit/Make mono regions" sounds like it makes regions mono.  Even
a simple "Edit/Create mono regions" would provide more of a clue that
there are regions somewhere to be had.  A mouse-over help over the menu
entry could be more explicit.  An echo area/popup could mention that
mono regions have been created.  Since obviously somebody wants to do
something with the regions, the regions list could actually be made
visible, or even just its tab could briefly flash.

There are dozens of way to be more discoverable here.  Instead saying
"if you ever learnt DAW processed with an actually user-friendly
program, you'll find most of the stuff similar here, just without any
useful help or hint" is not the same as being easy to learn.

A program that expects an expert before you can even start to use it is
_not_ standalone.  It requires you to first buy a proprietary program in
order to learn how to work with the free one.  That's stupid.

--
David Kastrup