[LAU] FOSS DAW recommendations

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Sat Nov 18 17:38:42 UTC 2017

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 16:12:14 +0100
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> some DAWs have different intuitive to use GUIs for identical features.
> It's less important to a user who runs the DAW on a daily basis, but
> makes a big difference for those who use the DAW irregularly.

This is very true.  If I make a parallel to a domain I know much less
about, I have from time to time to annotate screenshots.  I tried using
Gimp for this purpose only to find that it is not easy at all to do
something which for my irregular use should be simple.  One has to
create layers, etc...  To which one can reply to read the manual.
Which I did and could have results.  But then 4 months later I forgot
how to do it.  So instead I use ImageMagick's 'display'.  Does
annotation of various kinds, plus a few other things, all simple and
easy to do, no need to read a manual at all.  Gimp is certainly a
professional application.

Is it possible to combine both type of uses in a dedicated
application ?  When I see screenshots of DAWs that have tracks flanked
with large graphics of instruments (drum, guitar, trumpet, etc...) to
remind the user about the track I think eeeech, I would not be mixing
anything using that :)

Cheers.