[LAU] Recording from S/PDIF

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Wed Nov 22 12:28:04 UTC 2017

Hi,

I have a Minidisc deck with various digital in- and outputs using
S/PDIF.  If you connect another MD deck or a CD player digitally and
record from it, it will faithfully reproduce the titling (not sure about
alphanumeric titles, but at least the starting points of the tracks will
be accurate and reliable and not just based on pauses like when
recording via the analog inputs).

Now how do I get this information when recording an S/PDIF signal into
the computer?  Does this information get back out of the ALSA driver (I
can use an RME Multiface here) in some manner?  I presume it doesn't
make it through Jack?

Thanks

--
David Kastrup