[LAU] Recording from S/PDIF

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Wed Nov 22 13:00:42 UTC 2017

David Kastrup wrote:
> I have a Minidisc deck with various digital in- and outputs using
> S/PDIF.  If you connect another MD deck or a CD player digitally and
> record from it, it will faithfully reproduce the titling (not sure about
> alphanumeric titles, but at least the starting points of the tracks will
> be accurate and reliable and not just based on pauses like when
> recording via the analog inputs).

It's possible that these sourcees send invalid or different data during
the pauses between tracks.

> Now how do I get this information when recording an S/PDIF signal into
> the computer?

If that information is present, it must be in the channel status bits.

> Does this information get back out of the ALSA driver (I can use
> an RME Multiface here) in some manner?

As far as I can see, this driver does not give you access to the channel
status bits of the capture stream.  (And even C-Media cards give you
only the first 32 bits.)

Regards,
Clemens