[LAU] Recording from S/PDIF

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Thu Nov 23 20:55:03 UTC 2017

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017, Clemens Ladisch wrote:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> Clemens Ladisch <clemens-P6GI/4k7KOmELgA04lAiVw at public.gmane.org>
>> writes:
>>>
>>> Mixer control "IEC958 Capture Default"/"... Mask".
>>
>> Huh.  This begs the question: are there any applications making use of
>> it?
>
> I am not aware of any.

Hmm, I did find a message from a few years ago (2014ish) asking a similar
question. The answer was that there were a few cards that did read this
stuff.... ISA cards as happens, and there was some software that would
take a DAT tape as spdif input and create named files for each track. They
were both DOS applications.

So somewhere between hacking the driver for your RME card and creating
your own software to deal with it's output may be your answer. (finding
computers with PCI slots is already hard, though I do have an older compaq
that still runs if you want to ship it :)

Honestly, unless you have a whole lot to do, silence detection will get
you close enough to make doing it by hand not too bad.

> Further research shows that the track number is not transmitted in the
> channel status bits but in the "user"/"subcode" bits.  I have never seen
> any sound card that allows access to those.

Theres the answer then...

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net