[LAU] Massive Xruns during recording

Will Godfrey willgodfrey at musically.me.uk
Thu Nov 30 17:44:33 UTC 2017

On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 18:21:43 +0100 (CET)
"Jeanette C." <julien at mail.upb.de> wrote:

>Nov 30 2017, Peter has written:
>Dear Peter,
>> this looks indeed pretty slow, is it an external usb-2 drive?
>No, it's an internal S-Ata drive, apparently a SAMSUNG HD154UI.
>> You may perform a simple check:
>>
>> sudo hdparm -tT /dev/sda
>For cached reads this averages around 1200 MB/Sec, for buffered reads
>around 108 MB/Sec. I didn't find an option to test the writing speed. As
>a write test, I tried this:
>dd if=/dev/zero of=out.file bs=1M count=100
>with a result of around 560MB/Sec
>> If your are just recording, can you increase the buffer length in jack?
>I could, but I already have it a period size of 256. At 512 I started to
>get a noticeable delay. With cards that can potentially go down to 64
>samples, I feel a - perhaps unreasonable - hesitation to set the period
>higher. Is this very unreasonable?
>
>Best wishes,
>
>Jeanette

Finances permitting, I would always suggest an SSD for lots of audio I/O, but
if that's not possible maybe a second hard drive, and use whichever is the
faster of the two for writes and the other for reads (writes to magnetic media
take longer than reads).

HTH

--
Will J Godfrey