[LAU] firewire-thunderbolt adapter?

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Tue Oct 3 21:50:07 UTC 2017

Bernardo Barros <bernardo.barros at nyu.edu> writes:

> Hello
>
> I have a quick question. I have an old MOTU Ultralite that works well
> with a thinkpad, which has a firewire I/O. Current Thinkpads don't
> have firewire, but some have thunderbolt. My old soundcard would work
> on a new thinkpad with an adapter, like it does with other OS's?

Would a Firewire Expresscard be an option?  That's what I currently use
on a T61.  The Expresscard I currently use has a "TI chipset" and won't
work properly unless I boot with it (after doing that, you can usually
disconnect it and reconnect while the laptop is suspended: hotplugging
tends not to work).  This tends to work a bit more reliably
(disregarding the hotplugging puzzle) than the built-in Ricoh Firewire
interface.

When you don't have a card yet, I think it likely makes sense going for
one supporting 800Mbps.  Not because there would be any use for that
speed with most soundcards, but because it will more likely land you
with a more modern chipset making less trouble in the PCIe department.
Also the issue date will be closer to the age of the "new Firewire
stack".

Do modern laptops still have Expresscard slots?

--
David Kastrup