[LAU] firewire-thunderbolt adapter?

David W. Jones gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Oct 3 22:49:18 UTC 2017

On October 3, 2017 11:50:07 AM HST, David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> wrote:
>Bernardo Barros <bernardo.barros at nyu.edu> writes:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I have a quick question. I have an old MOTU Ultralite that works well
>> with a thinkpad, which has a firewire I/O. Current Thinkpads don't
>> have firewire, but some have thunderbolt. My old soundcard would work
>> on a new thinkpad with an adapter, like it does with other OS's?
>
>Would a Firewire Expresscard be an option?  That's what I currently use
>on a T61.  The Expresscard I currently use has a "TI chipset" and won't
>work properly unless I boot with it (after doing that, you can usually
>disconnect it and reconnect while the laptop is suspended: hotplugging
>tends not to work).  This tends to work a bit more reliably
>(disregarding the hotplugging puzzle) than the built-in Ricoh Firewire
>interface.
>
>When you don't have a card yet, I think it likely makes sense going for
>one supporting 800Mbps.  Not because there would be any use for that
>speed with most soundcards, but because it will more likely land you
>with a more modern chipset making less trouble in the PCIe department.
>Also the issue date will be closer to the age of the "new Firewire
>stack".
>
>Do modern laptops still have Expresscard slots?

I don't think so. My 2-year-old laptop only offers USB ports and an SD card slot.

I understand that SD cards can be other things than storage - I think there are SD wifi cards, for example.

I wonder - could an adaptor connect a Firewire device to USB-C or Thunderbolt port?

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail.